== Machine Learning Application Areas ==
'''Infrastructure ''' ===
* Predictive maintenance
* Risk and vulnerability assessment
'''Societal Systems ''' ===
* Monitoring food supplies
* Public health
* Responding to food security
'''Crisis ''' ===
* Annotating disaster maps
* Delivering alerts
== Background Readings ==
'''Primers ''' ===
*'''Chapter 20: "Adaptation Planning and Implementation" in the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (2014)'''<ref>Abeysinghe A, Denton F, Bhadwal S, Burton I, Gao Q, Leal W, Lemos MF, Masui T, O'brien K, Van Ypersele JP, Warner K, and Wilbanks T, Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Core Writing Team, R.K. Pachauri and L.A. Meyer (eds.)]. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 151 pp. 2014</ref>: An overview of current understanding on climate impacts and risks.
== Online Courses and Course Materials ==
== Community ==
'''Major conferences ''' ===
* '''ACM Compass''': An annual conference focused on computing for sustainable societies. Website [https://acmcompass.org/ here].
== Libraries and Tools ==
== Data ==
Satellite imagery are used for ecological and social observation. Some public sources include,
* [https://github.com/chrieke/awesome-satellite-imagery-datasets awesome-satellite-imagery-datasets]: A github repository of accessible satellite imagery data.
There have also been competitions revolving around climate change adaptation issues,
* [https://app.wandb.ai/wandb/droughtwatch/benchmark DroughtWatch]
revolves around drought monitoring in Kenya.
* [https://www.drivendata.co/case-studies/promoting-digital-financial-services-in-tanzania/ Promoting Digital Financial Services in Tanzania]
describes an attempt to mobile money effort to improve financial inclusion and resilience.
The [https://zindi.africa/competitions/ibm-malaria-challenge IBM Malaria Challenge] is a competition around Improved disease surveillance and response, which is motivated by the spread of vector borne disease resulting from climate change.
This competition describes an attempt to use mobile money effort to improve financial inclusion and resilience.
Improved disease surveillance and response is an important part of adaptation – here is one competition with this goal in mind.
== References ==