Solar geoengineering, much like the greenhouse gases causing climate change, shifts the balance between how much heat the Earth absorbs and how much it releases. The difference is that it is done deliberately, and in the opposite direction. The most common umbrella strategy is to make the Earth more reflective, keeping heat out, though there are also methods of helping heat escape (besides CO2 removal, which is discussed in [[Forestry and Other Land Use]]).
One challenge brought forward by geoengineering is to pinpoint ways ways in which climate models treat various geoengineering scenarios, and modeling the likely climate effects of geoengineering.
Useful datasets for this include:
*[http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/GeoMIP/ The Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project]: A resource describing solar geoengineering simulation data.▼
Methods and Software ==
Recommended Readings ==
* Harvard Project on Climate Agreements. [https://www.c2g2.net/wp-content/uploads/Harvard-Project-Solar-Geo-Governance-Briefs-181126.pdf Governance of the Deployment of Solar Geoengineering].
* [https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/wcc.423 An overview of the Earth system science of geoengineering]
* Irvine, P.J. [https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2016EF000389 Towards a comprehensive climate impacts assessment of solar geoengineering (2016)]
* MacMartin, D.G. and Kravitz, B. [https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-control-053018-023725 The engineering of climate engineering] (2019)
== Community ==
Journals and conferences ===
[https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/21698996 Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres]
[https://www.atmospheric-chemistry-and-physics.net/ Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics]
[https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/23284277 Earth's Future]
* [https://www.ce-conference.org/ Climate Engineering Conference]
* [https://www.agu.org/fall-meeting American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting]
=== Societies and organizations ===
=== Past and upcoming events ===
[http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/GeoMIP/ The Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project]: A resource describing solar geoengineering simulation data.
== Important considerations ==
Next steps ==
== References ==