Difference between revisions of "Remote Sensing"
(Added couple of sources for EO data)
|(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)|
Latest revision as of 07:38, 9 January 2022
This page is about the applications of machine learning (ML) in the context of remote sensing. For an overview of remote sensing more generally, please see the Wikipedia page on this topic.
Machine learning can be applied to remote sensing data to infer climate-relevant information. Some selected examples include:
- Mapping power grids and solar panel locations.
- Mapping building footprints.
- Pinpointing occurrences of deforestation.
- Creating an inventory of global greenhouse gas emissions.
Background Readings[edit | edit source]
Online Courses and Course Materials[edit | edit source]
- GIS & Remote sensing at Earth Lab, University of Colorado
- EO College, European Space Agency
Community[edit | edit source]
- EARTHVISION: A workshop regularly held at computer vision conferences. Website here.
- Space and AI: A conference organized by the ESA-CLAIRE AI Special Interest Group on Space. Website here.
Libraries and Tools[edit | edit source]
Data[edit | edit source]
Satellite imagery datasets[edit | edit source]
High-resolution RGB satellite images (for visual predictions)[edit | edit source]
- United States Geological Survey
- Copernicus (Sentinel satellites)
- NASA Worldview
- Google Earth (permission needed for research use)
- Sentinel Hub (Sentinel, Landsat, Envisat, etc.)
Multispectral satellite images (5-13 visible and infrared bands)[edit | edit source]
Hyperspectral satellite images (up to a few hundred visible and infrared bands)[edit | edit source]
- Table 1 of the review "Survey of Hyperspectral Earth Observation Applications from Space in the Sentinel-2 Context" for comparisons between sources.
General satellite images[edit | edit source]
- Awesome Satellite Imagery Datasets: List of aerial and satellite imagery datasets with annotations for computer vision and deep learning.
Street view datasets[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Tackling climate change in the EU". Climate Change and Law Collection.
- Transon, Julie; d’Andrimont, Raphaël; Maugnard, Alexandre; Defourny, Pierre (2018-01-23). "Survey of Hyperspectral Earth Observation Applications from Space in the Sentinel-2 Context". Remote Sensing. 10 (3): 157. doi:10.3390/rs10020157. ISSN 2072-4292.